The Scherling Studio dates back to 1919 when Arvid R. Scherling came to Fargo where he obtained an internship with Dewey Studio. In 1920 he opened his own studio at 113 1/2 Broadway, known also as the Owl Studio from at least 1925 to 1929. In 1924-1925 he was in business with his brother-in-law William Wagner as Scherling & Wagner. For some years he also had a studio in Moorhead, Minnesota, managed by T.M. Fillmore.
Arvid R. Scherling was born in Pillager, Minnesota August 21, 1898. He began with photography in Little Falls, and Ortonville, Minnesota before coming to Fargo. On October 4, 1919 he married Sophia Wagner, and they had three children named Daniel, Mary, and Orlando.
In 1949 Arvid retired, turned the business over to his son Orlando, and moved to Los Angeles, California. In September, 1971 he returned to Fargo where he died on May 18, 1972.
Orlando Scherling was born August 12, 1921 in Fargo. He was a graduate of Fargo Central High in 1939 and attended North Dakota State University. He then spent one year at the School of Modern Photography in New York City.On December 28, 1941 he married Billiette Skjonsby, and they had five sons named Steven, Michael, Patrick, Larry and Jerry. In 1949 he took over his father's business. He remained at 113 1/2 Broadway until 1958, when they consolidated with Voss Studio and moved to 313 Broadway. During the 1950s, Scherling opened branch studios in the Minnesota cities of Moorhead, Wadena, Marshall, and Minneapolis. He was the president of the North Dakota Professional Photographers Association in 1952, and was awarded a master's degree from the Professional Photographers of America in 1956.
In the 1970s Orlando's sons Patrick and Larry joined the studio. In February, 1980 the Fargo studio moved to its present location at 2801 13th Avenue South. Orlando died at his home on December 22, 1994. Currently Patrick and Larry Scherling operate the studio.
Fourth generation, Tara Scherling, Larry’s daughter, works as a photographer and is training in her family footsteps.